Monday, October 15, 2012

8 Reasons To Eat Sesame Oil

         Back with a post about the health benefits of one of my favorite go-to ingredients as promised, sesame oil.

          I've been eating this oil since I was a youngster.  My Asian mother taught me to mix it with rice and other Asian condiments to make quick and easy meals for myself and my younger brother which was the inspiration behind Spicy Quinoa with Chia seeds and my detox concoction on my site (www.thegreenhomecookdiva.yolasite.com).

          But it wasn't until now that the health benefits of sesame oil (and sesame seeds too for that matter) actually mattered to me.  I am a firm believer in the consumption of healthy oils in our diets and sesame oil tops the list.  Unrefined (no solvent extraction, neutralization and bleaching) and cold pressed (expeller pressed at low temperatures) will provide the most nutrition but the popular form seems to be 'toasted.'  Toasted has a dark brown color and is commonly seen in Asian markets and the Asian sections of the grocery stores.   Just because they have been pressed under high temperatures does not mean they are no longer healthy, it just means that science says that heat tends to remove some of the nutrients.  The concern I have is the further processing.  This is when I start to question nutritional value.  But as it stands, the 'toasted' variety Toasted Sesame Oil (Google Affiliate Ad) is what I used in the recipe (the only variety I knew growing up and I like to think that I am quite healthy).

Making sesame oil at a Moran market in Seongnam, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea (photo courtesy of Wikipedia commons)

*Click here for a simple, tasty quinoa recipe that calls for a healthy dose of sesame oil*



Storing sesame oil.
Unrefined sesame oil contains 'sesamol,' a compound that allows the oil to keep for long periods of time without going rancid.  Despite this, it is still best practice to store the oil in dark colored bottles in cool places  to extend shelf life.

Different varieties.
Cold pressed sesame oil is pale yellow in color and has a different flavor than the toasted variety which is the choice of Asian cuisine.  


Smoke point.
Sesame oil does not have a smoke point high enough for deep frying so another oil is recommended (Even doctors recommend coconut oil which is a more stable oil that keeps well  - I like this organic, unrefined and non-bleached, non-GMO, pure extra virgin, cold pressed, hexane free EfaGold Coconut Oil - 16 fl oz (Google Affiliate Ad)). The smoke point of sesame oil sits nicely at 350 degrees Farrenheit/ 177 degrees Celsius, making it much better for sauteeing/pan-frying/stir-frying.  Here is an unrefined, organic bulk package of 6 x 8oz bottles by a company I like, Spectrum Naturals. Spectrum Naturals 19124 Organic Unrefined Toasted Sesame Oil (Google Affiliate Ad) (should that be your cup of tea).   Since it keeps well, buying this item in bulk will save you time and money. 


8 Health Benefits of Sesame Oil:

1. Regulates blood pressure (My blood pressure checks are always in a very normal range).

  • lowers sodium levels thereby acting as a natural diuretic and this helps to regulate blood pressure
2.  Lowers blood sugar 
  • high blood sugar leads to diabetes
3.  Promotes healthy skin
  • supports vitamin E and other skin benefiting antioxidants' functions in the body

Additional Benefits:

  4.  Anti-bacterial/anti-inflammatory
  • heals infections when applied topically
  • reduces joint pain when applied topically
  5.  Slows cancer growth
  • shown to slow the growth of skin cancer, melanoma when applied topically to cancerous area.
  6.  Protects against radiation induced DNA damage
  7.  Inhibits many forms of cancer, including leukemia, pancreatic, lung, and colon
  8.  Protects the liver from oxidative (free radicals) damage 

(Click here for an easy, tasty recipe that calls for healthy dose of sesame oil).
  

No comments:

Post a Comment