Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Simple, Yummy, Nutritious Pasta Dish with Salad!

       I picked up some organic, locally grown produce from the local health foods store today because I was craving some vegetables! I love to eat my vegetables raw in the form of salads, steamed, or sauteed with flavorful oils seasoned with aromatics.  I love to eat salads because they are a great way for me to eat all my favorite veggies in their most nutritious form all at one time.  Of course, it's the dressing that makes it so tasty (please see my blog on making our own salad dressings).
Veggies for the week!
       But sometimes a salad alone just doesn't cut it.  So an easy pairing is pasta.  I happened to have a little rice bran pasta  but it wasn't quite enough so I threw in a little buckwheat vermicelli that I also had (Buckwheat vermicelli is a Japanese style noodle (soba), Here is a link to a good brand. Keep in mind this company sells in bulk which can be very convenient and environmentally friendly! Eden Foods 008639 Soba 100 Percent Buckwheat Wheat Free (Google Affiliate Ad)).

       I drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegar (ratio 3:1 oil to vinegar) and added seasonings to the pasta directly rather than in the dressing.  It was so flavorful and delicious.  I couldn't believe my taste buds! I used the same dressing for my salad too.

An Easy, Tasty Pasta with Salad!
(I threw in some salad fixings into the pasta too)
     The ingredients for my salad included kale, rainbow chard, tomatoes, red onion, cauliflower, fuji apple, red and yellow peppers, carrots, almonds, pumpkin seeds Pumpkorn 27872 Organic Original Pumpkin Seeds (Google Affiliate Ad), and flax seeds Spectrum Eseentials 40523 Organic Ground Essential Flax Seed (Google Affiliate Ad) (all organic and locally grown). I find that adding plant based proteins like nuts and seeds really add to the flavor of a salad so try it some time!

Stuff I used and highly recommend! I did not necessarily use these brands but I don't recommend a brand I"m not familiar with when i think it really makes a difference. Regarding seeds and nuts, I prefer raw and unsalted. Check them out and click on the links above to see their nutritional benefits! 
(Do remember this company sells some items in bulk)








No comments:

Post a Comment